Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 3, 2013

10-3-13 Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:



Portelos Hearing Update: DOE Lawyers Pass DOE Employees from OEO As "Public" While SCI Harass Portelos' Wife in Her School
...while SCI investigators harrass Portelos family members.SCI investigators have visited my father-in-law at his job during the summer and more recently visited my mother-in-law the day before my termination hearing started. Well, apparently SCI  Investigators Mr. Romano and Mr. Martucci are still going around visiting my family, including my wife today at her school.... Francesco Portelos @ Prot


Fred Smith Discovers Test Question About Bloomberg for Kindergarten Exam
This item was in consideration until the final edit of the pre-test that will be given in Kindergarten this month: Cartoonists often make a statement through caricature, which is defined as a representation, especially pictorial or literary, in which the subject's distinctive features or peculiarities are deliberately exaggerated to produce a comic or grotesque effect.Please study these two depict


Shame on "Journalists" Supporting E4E Closed Meeting Where All Had to Sign "The Pledge"
Panelists included journalists Ben Max (Decide NYC), Lindsey Christ (NY1), Sarah Garland (Hechinger Report) and Sarah Darville (GothamSchools). What does this say about these journalists? Teachers who do not agree with the E4E position are banned. We know that E4E supports every Bloomberg ed deform position and those allowed to attend must agree with the E4E position. So what are people who call t
Thursday Oct 3: Rally to Save I.S. 2 Staten Island
And the beat of co-location goes on. Thursday October 3rd @ 5:30 pm(Outside I.S. 2 on Midland Ave)Followed by a DoE PUBLIC HEARING @ 6:30PMat I.S. 2 in the AuditoriumWe need every student, parent, teacher, elected official and community member on Staten Island to raise their voice and be heard!Laura E. Timoney(O) 718.987.6411(C) 917.667.2711Laura@Timoney.com
Video: Leonie Haimson and Jia Lee at CEC 15 High Stakes Testing Forum
Everyone knows Leonie. More and more people are getting to know Jia, who represented Change the Stakes and MORE on the panel. Amazing that I only met Jia in April 2012 when she attended a GEM/CTS forum with Carol Burris, Leonie, Gary Rubinstein and more. I'm posting the video in small chunks. More to come.
Join Me and Other MOREistas This Saturday at MORE Brunch
Do I have to tell you if you are a NYC teacher that the only way to have a chance to turn the tide of ed deform is to capture leadership of the UFT/AFT. Now that may be a long march I may not live to see but the first step is building a viable democratically run alternative with a MORE rep in as many schools as possible. Let me emphasize "democratic." If we could win power by being like

9-30-13 Ed Notes Online
Ed Notes Online: TODAY: Portelos Hearing, Protest Eva Invasion of Seth Low, High Stakes Test Forum at PS 51KOy! On a beautiful day that I would love to be spending in my backyard contemplating my little garden construction project that has become my obsession (contemplate, not do actual work on it -- but look for a photo soon to show where I am at with it) I am about to leave for the Portelos hear