Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 14, 2013

10-14-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:





The Common Core Memorandum of Understanding: What a Story
The question of who, exactly, is truly responsible for writing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) has been a matter for debate. Here is how the CCSS website describes CCSS development: Building on the excellent foundation of standards states have laid, the Common Core State Standards are the first step in providing our young people […]

The Kinder Chronicles, Part Two #DCPS
I was somewhat recently a guest on the new Al Jazeera America show The Stream to discuss the common core. When hearing about my appearance, my grandfather asked, “Well, what did they introduce him as?” I think my grandfather, who’s been a dominant fixture in my life, comes from a time, a generation, maybe a […]
Our show with the inescapable Mercedes Schneider.
Here it is. VAM. Teacher preparation. CCR.


Some click bait on @huffingtonpost, insight into #TFA
I suppose many think TFA’ers are blindingly insufferable. Clicked some random piece on Huffington Post about the most insufferable people on Facebook, or perhaps the seven insufferable sins, something like that. I can’t remember where I put the link. But I did catch a screenshot of the most interesting part. So, as an example of […]

The Common Core Public License: Guess Who Wins?
On October 10, 2013, I published a post, The Fight to Save Common Core: Count Me Out, in which I briefly discuss the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) public license. In this post, I more closely examine the CCSS license in order to offer a more detailed account of both its contents and the implications of those […]



10-13-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Teaching Reading and Children: Reading Programs as “Costume Parties”Teaching Reading and Children: Reading Programs as \”Costume Parties\”. via Teaching Reading and Children: Reading Programs as “Costume Parties”.by plthomasedd / 13min All Week 10-12-13 @ THE CHALK FACE@ THE CHALK FACE knows SCHOOLS MATTER: All Week @ THE CHALK FACE Reformy NY Education Commish gets taken to the