Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I Used To Think … And Now I Think (Part 2) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

I Used To Think … And Now I Think (Part 2) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:

I Used To Think … And Now I Think (Part 2)

I published Part 1 about how my ideas about school reform have changed over the past half-century. Here is Part 2.
***************************************************************************


used to think that structural reforms (e.g., creating non-graded schools; new district and school site governance structures; novel technologies; small high schools with block schedules, advisories, and student learning communities) would lead to better classroom instruction. And now I think that, at best, such structural reforms may be necessary first steps toward improving instruction but are (and have been) seldom sufficient to alter traditional teaching practices.
In teaching nearly 15 years, I had concluded that policies creating new structures (see above examples) would alter common teaching practices which, in turn, would get students to learn more, faster, and better.
I revised that conclusion, albeit in slow motion, as I looked around at how my fellow teachers taught and began to examine my own classroom practices. I