Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

HSLDA’s Michael Farris Has a Conversation with David Coleman | Truth in American Education

HSLDA’s Michael Farris Has a Conversation with David Coleman | Truth in American Education:

HSLDA’s Michael Farris Has a Conversation with David Coleman

Filed in Common Core State Standards by  on July 30, 2013 • 0 Comments




David Coleman, chief architect of the Common Core ELA standards and now President of theCollege Board has been reaching out to conservatives and Christians to encourage them to support the Common Core.  He recently contacted Michael Farris, the founder of the Home School Legal Defense Association.  Farris, in a email to his members (which my wife and I received yesterday as we’ve been members of HSLDA for years), discussed a recent phone conversation with Coleman.
Dear HSLDA members and friend,
David Coleman, president of the College Board, is the acknowledged principal leader of the effort to create and implement the Common Core. And he wanted to talk with me about Home School Legal Defense Association’s position. I was very willing. We spent about an hour together on the phone. The conversation was very cordial. Both of us showed that we truly listened to and heard the other person’s position. And both of us stood strongly on our principles and core positions. I was really glad that we talked. His initial presentation walked me through several features of the Common Core. From a pedagogical perspective, there are clearly some good ideas contained in it. When it came time for me to respond, I began with a story. I once testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee when Senator Joseph Biden was chairing a hearing on a Supreme Court nominee. Before began, Biden asked me, “I have a question for you. Is it your idea to force everyone to homeschool?” I told Senator Biden that such an idea would be anathema to HSLDA and to me. We simply want to protect the right to choose homeschooling for those who wish to pursue it.
I told Mr. Coleman that the point of the story was this: Just because you have a good idea (homeschooling in my case, Common Core in his case), it doesn’t mean that it is appropriate