Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 3, 2013

Life in Rahm’s Chicago. I retired a year ago. I turn 65 in two weeks. | Fred Klonsky

Life in Rahm’s Chicago. I retired a year ago. I turn 65 in two weeks. | Fred Klonsky:

Life in Rahm’s Chicago. I retired a year ago. I turn 65 in two weeks.

727_10201239583460941_1879980649_n
Outside the shiny headquarters were about 100 CTA employees protesting layoffs by CTA boss Forrest Claypool.
“What do you do with your time,” I am often asked.
In the old days time was money.
Now money is time.
I have been working on the goal of living as well and spending less.
So I will spend time (which I have more of) to save some (which we have less of).
Take the annual city sticker fee. We still have two cars and the city sticker costs $85.
But seniors only have to pay $30.
Before we were seniors we could pay the fee online and get the stickers in the mail. But it wasn’t clear how to do the senior thing online.
And you only get one senior discount no matter how many cars. Both cars are in my name.
“Add your wife’s name to the title on one of the cars,” a pleasant City Hall voice told me on