Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » My Kid and Our Kids

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » My Kid and Our Kids:


My Kid and Our Kids

Recent news has focused on the educational choices that those on both sides of the education reform debate have made with their own kids. My first discomfort with this is the disclosure of the actual schools these children are attending. Given the high profile of both these ladies, and the animus they generate, as a teacher I worry about having  information that specific (the actual schools) out there. I’m a firm believer that one should not bear the burden of ones parents, most especially if one is under 18.
I’ve also been trying to work out how to discuss the choices I’ve made for schooling my own child since last summer, but I hadn’t figured out the proper tone, or approach. Complicating matters, I have tried to include less and less about my son in my blog as time has gone, and he has gotten older, since it’s his privacy. Most of it has been in posts about being a special education parent, because I feel I have useful information to impart in my dual role as both a parent and an educator.
I haven’t talked about the school my son goes to, which is a local independent charter. I’m going to talk about