Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 1, 2013

Inside the Black Box of the Classroom Practice: Change without Reform in American Education | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Inside the Black Box of the Classroom Practice: Change without Reform in American Education | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Inside the Black Box of the Classroom Practice: Change without Reform in American Education


insideblackbox_223Readers who have been with me from August 2009 know that I have mentioned writing a book on the linkages between policy and practice in technology, curriculum, and accountability; I posted pieces of my research, for example, on laptops in a school fictitiously-named Las Montanas (see here, here, and here). And there have been other posts as I have drafted and revised different parts of the book.
In this post, I quote from the Preface and some thoughts I had about writing  Inside the Black Box of Classroom Practice.
From the Preface:
I have written a great deal over the past 30 years on teaching, curriculum, school organization, technology, and reform. The topics are all interconnected. After all, reform-driven policymakers have sought to alter classroom practices for at least two centuries in the U.S.  They have used structural reforms from the age-graded school to the non-graded school; from pushing new technologies into classrooms as the 19th century slate blackboard to the 21st century “smart” whiteboard.  The same holds for curricular reform;  late-19th century reformers