Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 29, 2013

Too much to read… | Deborah Meier on Education

Too much to read… | Deborah Meier on Education:


Too much to read…

I get sent books, I buy them and I borrow them. I’m a sucker for a good title. But if they are in “my field” I think they deserve passing along. So here are some comments about ones I found I was glad t have read this past month or two.
1. Letters of Recommendation, by Maxine McClintock is a surprisingly engaging fictional dialogue between a high school teacher and a very sensitive student about the value of what they’ve has been engaged in. I kept turing down page corners (tsk tsk) and over time I shall be quoting from the author.
2. Citizenship Now, edited by Jon and Marjorie Ford consists of short essays by almost everyone I admire (including some I disagree with),and, NOTE, including a piece me on “Educating a Democracy”. I think it’s meant to be used in courses focused on civic education.
3. Ditto for Defending Childhood edited by Beverly Falk. The chapters are on important issues, such as George Madaus and Terrence Lee-St. John’s onStandardized Testing:Unheeded Issues That Impact Children’s Learning.