Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Teaching Math: The Driftwood and the Vortex (Michele Kerr) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Teaching Math: The Driftwood and the Vortex (Michele Kerr) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Teaching Math: The Driftwood and the Vortex (Michele Kerr)

Michele Kerr is a second-career teacher, credentialed in math, history, and English, with a master’s in education from Stanford University, She teaches math from CAHSEE prep to pre-calc at Kennedy High School in Fremont, CA. She also wrote about teaching English in an previous guest post.
“Ms K, I need to do my work with Ms. V. My education plan is my civil right!” Deon’s entire body was contorted in a geometric impossibility, the better to shout at me from the back of the room.
“Hey, Ms. K! Come here! What if both numbers are negative?” Sticks was waving me over.
“If the rise and run are both negative, the slope’s positive. Just like multiplying!” Jack argued, as Cal watched dispassionately.
Welcome to the first month of my math support class, for juniors and seniors who haven’t yet passed California’s High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE). Snapshots from a typical day: