Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I still cannot get an answer to this question… #commoncore #teachervoice – @ the chalk face

I still cannot get an answer to this question… #commoncore #teachervoice – @ the chalk face:



@educationweek gives us, via Walt Gardner, a “reality check”

I’ve seen this post on “protecting” children from failure tweeted a few times.
I get it, but for some reason, these kinds of arguments feel icky to me. I can’t quite put my finger on it. The tone of some of them, or the assumptions buried within the arguments, seem to me like they are paternalistic or tailored for students from privileged backgrounds.
I always thought it takes a lot of sand for authors like Paul Tough and others to tell a bunch of inner city kids that they just don’t have enough “grit.” It almost sounds like those that blame the poor for not working hard enough. That’s the basis for their lot in life.
I could see this post working for over involved helicopter type parents from more affluent backgrounds. That 


I still cannot get an answer to this question… #commoncore #teachervoice

Really simple post.
I hear teacher input, or teacher voice, is important.
So, if individual or groups or schools of teachers are dissatisfied with the CCSS, will they have the right of refusal?
In other words, if this is indeed a grassroots groundswell, and after implemented in the classroom, teachers are underwhelmed with the curriculum, then they should have the professional autonomy to choose or implement a different program.
Right? Let the market decide.


The rich get cake, the rest get crumbs in #LAUSD


A free breakfast program in Los Angeles is apparently a dumping ground for expired food products.
Stay classy, Wal Mart.
And this from a commenter on Facebook:
This article could also serve as proof that Walmart participates in school reform Raptor Philanthropy in order to get contracts.
I love that idea, Raptor Philanthropy.


Dream of America: Great Public Schools (Kurt Vonnegut)

Kurt Vonnegut: “We can’t fix the schools. My dream of America…great public schools. I thought we should be the envy of the world with our public schools. And I went to such a public school so I knew that such a school was possible…”
Watch and listen here, starting at about 4:10:
Popout