Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Breastfeeding One, Nourishing Many « MomsRising Blog

Breastfeeding One, Nourishing Many « MomsRising Blog:



Breastfeeding One, Nourishing Many

Shannon Shelton Miller at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
Long before my bouncing baby boy entered my life, I knew I would be breastfeeding. I’d read all the studies that detailed how breast milk was the ideal food for infants, the biological norm that provided the perfect combination of nutrients and immune system boosters for baby, and plenty of health benefits for mom too, [...]

Breastfeeding tale

Paperdoll cincy at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
To be honest, I never considered not breastfeeding I was a woman, I had breasts, and I was having a child. That is what breasts are for right? To feed babies. That was my point of view. My mother always boasted about breastfeeding her children. How long she breastfed and how wonderful it was for [...]

Against All Odds

Sahira Long at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
As I read the recent MMWR from CDC, I was encouraged to see that we are making progress in increasing breastfeeding initiation and duration as a nation. I was even more delighted to see that, while African American women continue to have the lowest breastfeeding rates among all ethnicities, the gap is decreasing. Sure there [...]

Social profit works to normal birth and breastfeeding

Jessica Fedenia at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
Attention: If you had your doubts about women doing it all, I’ve found one who can. She’s a mother of four all under the age of four and simultaneously, she is saving the world. She talks about her accomplishments as though they’re effortless, like her benevolence is a simple expectation. In Fall 2008 this wonder [...]

Creating a Legacy

Jeanine Valrie at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
I come from a long line of functional artists, domestics, and earth workers. Every family home I visited as a child had loads of quilts and handmade furniture, an iron pot, a garden, and a story. Until this day, I sit at the feet of my family “griots” to hear about the legacies and histories [...]

As Goddesses Do…

Jasmin Saville at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
True story: When I was pregnant with my daughter, my husband and I took a trip to Atlanta. He was going through the admissions process for a PhD program at Emory University and I tagged along with the intent of scoping out places to live, work, and daycares. I was hungry though. We suspended our [...]

What Did You Think They Were For?

Jamita Stith at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding. I have been breastfeeding for 7 consecutive years, with my last born currently going into his second year w/no signs of self weaning any time soon. I spent 6.5 years educating and facilitating breastfeeding education classes and support groups at my local health dept. When I was pregnant [...]

How to Beat Barriers to Breastfeeding in Labor and Delivery

Ericka Abrams at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
I was armed with an arsenal of information on how to have a successful breastfeeding beginning as we prepared for the birth of our daughter. I had read many of the best books, credible websites, and had extensive conversations with my health care providers, other nursing moms, and colleagues with lactation backgrounds. I was ready. [...]

Does Diet Impact Breast Milk?

Ebeth Johnson at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
Ebeth will be teaching her eating for breastfeeding class at Crossings Center for Healing Traditions on Saturday March 9th from 11am-2pm. Register at www.eatingforbreastfeeding.eventbite.com.

The Touch for Life

Dr. Melinda Harper at MomsRising Blog - 2 minutes ago
I breastfed both of my children, worked and went to school all at the same time. It was challenging but well worth it. The closeness we develop, I am finding was not momentary, it’s for life! My daughter is now twelve and my son is six. They don’t remember reaching up touching my face as [...]

Racial Breastfeeding Disparity Disappears at Baby Friendly Hospitals

Best for Babes at MomsRising Blog - 27 minutes ago
One of the biggest issues in breastfeeding is the disparity in breastfeeding rates among different races. (Read: Is there a “soft bigotry of low expectations” when it comes to breastfeeding?) The gap between African American women and women of other races, while closing, remains the most salient example. The breastfeeding initiation rate of African American [...]

Breastfeed or Bottle

Bernetta Knighten at MomsRising Blog - 27 minutes ago
Baby #3 is almost here!! Can you believe it? I often get the question, “Are you going to breastfeed or bottle feed?” For me it was really never a question for this baby or my other two. Breast is Best. I know some moms choose to bottle feed and we all have our reasons. So, [...]

Engaging Fathers and Partners and Garnering Their Support of Breastfeeding

April Walter Brown at MomsRising Blog - 27 minutes ago
As I reflect on my 16 month (and counting) breastfeeding experience, I think about the elements that have been critical to such a wonderful stage in the life of me and my child: the desire to breastfeed, education, resources, and support. I always knew that when I had a baby, I would breastfeed. I was [...]

Breastfeeding: Obesity, Diabetes and Asthma Prevention

Anjanette Davenport Hatter at MomsRising Blog - 27 minutes ago
When it came to breastfeeding my two amazing children, it was an easy choice to make. I wanted to be sure I provided my children with the very best start in life and I understood that breast milk was considered the very best first food. Being born African American, we are already predisposed to developing [...]

The Little Boobs That Could

Alicia Barnes at MomsRising Blog - 27 minutes ago
I’ve worked hard to be in that less than 8% of Mississippi women (16% nationally) who exclusively breastfeed for the first six months of life, and my son and I are happily headed toward nursing for at least a year as he’s slowly introduced to solids. In these last six months I’ve learned breastfeeding is [...]