Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mother Crusader: Dear Bernie, An Open Letter About Consolidation To A Charter Cheerleader. From, Darlene

Mother Crusader: Dear Bernie, An Open Letter About Consolidation To A Charter Cheerleader. From, Darlene:


Dear Bernie, An Open Letter About Consolidation To A Charter Cheerleader. From, Darlene

My post about the hullabaloo in East Brunswick attracted a new sparring partner named Bertin Lefkovic.  He has responded to my post both on Marie Corfield's Facebook page (sorry Marie!) and Diane Ravitch's blog (you can read the whole exchange there.)

I decided to post my latest response to him on my blog, well, because I have one and I can, but also because he brings up an issue that has always irked me, but I have never written about; charter supporters advocating for the consolidation of public school districts.

While Bertin Lefkovic took lots of time to craft responses, he didn't bother to get my name right and referred to me, without fail, as "Darlene."  

So Bernie, here's Darlene's response...

First, my name is Darcie…
Second, there are things upon which we agree, including the need to exclude “privatization privateers” in public education.
I also agree that if our property taxes were not so directly linked to school funding, many school funding arguments would be greatly diminished.
You take me to task for saying that the way charters are funded will