Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

School Tech Connect: Reading Between The Gun Control Lines

School Tech Connect: Reading Between The Gun Control Lines:


Reading Between The Gun Control Lines

When I was a young pup, I used to go to the NEA Representative Assemblies and wonder at why on earth the delegates would be arguing over positions related to all of these "outside" issues--- it frustrated me as a young person. I used to think that education was this thing that you could isolate, and that there was no need to vote about statements regarding poverty, women's rights, gun control, criminal justice, or whatever. Whatever the issue was, it seemed to me, sooner or later the NEA-RA would vote on it.

It all seemed so crazy lefty to me.  It all sounded like something the Rob Reiner character on The Archie Bunker Show would have come up with, and I couldn't stand that guy's mustache. It really bothered me. It still does, in fact.

Then time passed, and I grew up, and I started to see how everything plays out in the classroom and that while I might want to work in a vacuum, I don't. There's an entire speech that goes with this paragraph, but I'm sure you already can guess most of it.

So, I'm interested to see that Michele Rhee has chimed in on gun control. Go ahead, read the whole thing.

I'm pleased to say that I agree with her. I, too, am opposed to SB 59 in Michigan. However, the truth of the matter is that you really