Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

UPDATE: Schools Matter: NEA, AFT should be helping us resist, not comply with, the common core

Schools Matter: NEA, AFT should be helping us resist, not comply with, the common core:


NEA, AFT should be helping us resist, not comply with, the common core

My comment on: “NEA, AFT Partner To Build Common-Core Tools,” (Education Week, Dec 17).

From the article:
The two national teachers' unions have won $11 million to build an online warehouse of instructional tools for the Common Core State Standards. Student Achievement Partners, whose founders led the writing of the standards, is also a grantee. It will work with the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association and their teachers to build the tools and post them on Student Achievement Partners' website.
(For the rest: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/2012/12/nea_aft_to_build_common-core_w.html)

My comment, posted on http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/2012/12/nea_aft_to_build_common-


"I Seen You Do It!"


Today, on our walk to school, my son started to grumble a bit about some kids in his class who don't use "proper" grammar ("not that I do all the time, Dad!") and use words like "ain't" and say "seen" instead of "saw."

I asked why it mattered to him.  He couldn't really say.  I asked him if he thought it made a difference at all.  He said it mattered in school.  How?  "They'll get test questions wrong."

"But you understand what they're saying, right?  I mean, you're not confused by their grammar, right?"

Guess not, he said.

Is "I saw you" different than "I seen you?" I asked?

He didn't know but he thought it was.

Well it is I guess, but only if used with "have" or "had".

So, "I saw you" is tied to a specific time event--"I saw you yesterday" for example.  And so it IS different than "I