Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 7, 2012

Democracy died in Michigan : blue cheddar

Democracy died in Michigan : blue cheddar:


Democracy died in Michigan

Tweet from Representative Barb Byrum: @BarbByrum “What we have today is a declaration of war. War on unions.” Rep Stanley #NoRTWMi “Well I’m not sure exactly what happened to pressure Snyder’s hand into strong-arming right to steal legislation in Lansing yesterday. The word is that he was under threat of primary and he was promised support by DeVos, Norquist, inc., and he folded like a crack house mattress.” - bloggingformichigan.com The drama that unfolded yesterday as Michigan protesters were arrested, maced, locked out, and ignored brought back for me many of the same feelings of frustration and rage that dominated my life in early 2011. The process was a sick thing to watch even from afar, but I thought that the least I could do was to share tweets and blog on the matter. Hopefully I am returning a favor to some Michigan residents who did the same for Wisconsinites. I focus in this post on worker rights, but to be clear, Michigan’s Republican legislators are delivering deadly blows to the rights of workers AND women AND kicking their most vulnerable poor citizens with a 60 month lifetime cash assistance limit that has zero exceptions. Zero exceptions. As Ron French more »