Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 22, 2012

I GIVE THANKS « Teachers Fight Back

I GIVE THANKS « Teachers Fight Back:


I GIVE THANKS

I’m thankful that I retired several years before the Teachers Retirement System of Illinois was accused of bankrupting the State, the Country and the entire Western Hemisphere.
I’m thankful I taught during a time when parents and students were considered as important as the teacher when it came to a student’s success.
I’m thankful I taught before millionaires and billionaires decided they would reform education and that they knew what worked more than any teacher.
I give thanks that I taught in an era before political correctness and fear of lawsuits. A time when you could actually use words like lazy and troublemaker.
I give thanks that during most of my career very few students had allergies, asthma, autism, behavior disorders, and dozens of disabilities that are so common today.
I’m thankful I taught when teachers were responsible for their own discipline plans and for interpreting the curriculum as they saw fit.
I’m thankful I taught when teacher unions were never controversial and never blamed for causing a crisis in public education.
I give thanks I taught in a time when students actually earned self-esteem through their own efforts and it wasn’t dispensed by teachers as if it were a prescription drug.
I’m thankful I taught before bribery was used as a discipline tool and parents had to be offered incentives to get involved in their child’s education.
I’m thankful I had a few retirement years in when I was still able to receive a cost of living adjustment.
I give thanks that I served under several excellent, no-nonsense principals who ran the school without worrying about political correctness and lawsuits.
I’m thankful I taught when people knew the value of a teacher meant a lot more than just the students’ test scores.
I’m thankful for having been able to teach with some outstanding teachers who never became upset when I copied their successful techniques.
I’m thankful I was in schools where almost every coworker genuinely cared about the success of their students and worked extremely hard at their job.
I’m thankful I taught in an era when not every child was expected to go to college and those who wouldn’t go were given vocational classes that prepared them for a career.
I’m thankful I retired before many of the veteran teachers I talk to today who are completely stressed out and can’t wait to have enough years in to retire.
I’m thankful for all the great kids I taught over the years. The vast majority of students and their parents were always nice and cooperative. It was a joy to teach them.
I’m thankful for having the opportunity to work with more than a dozen student-teachers, all of who went on to have successful careers in teaching.
I’m thankful I had a wife and kids who put up with living close to poverty for many years when my teaching salary was pathetically low. My family was always the last in the neighborhood to have any and all modern conveniences such as cable television, computers, video games, cell phones, central air conditioning and many more items everyone else took for granted. We could have qualified for food stamps and free lunches at school. We never took vacations unless it was staying at a relative’s house. We lived paycheck to paycheck for many years and yet the family members never complained.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY READERS.