Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Daily Kos: August 28

Daily Kos: August 28:


August 28

1963 on this day, a quarter million people came to Washington DC for the March for Jobs and Freedom.  We now refer to it as the Civil Rights March, and it is true, it had a focus on Civil Rights for African Americans -  perhaps 80% of those in attendance were Black.
Only one labor union had a significant presnece -  the United Auto Workers.
And among the 20% who were white was a just graduated from high school 17 year old boy from Larchmont New York about to leave for his freshman year at Haverford.
I think of that day, 49 years ago, where I came to Washington because I saw inequity in our nation, because I saw discrimination against people because of the color of their skin.
I think of August 28 this year, a Republican convention that will nominate Mitt Romney, whose campaign is already using racial dog whistles against America's first Black president.
Perhaps I should be ashamed for my country - not that politicians use racial dog whistles, because there are