Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 27, 2012

Rich Miller’s Uncle Kenny. « Fred Klonsky

Rich Miller’s Uncle Kenny. « Fred Klonsky:


Rich Miller’s Uncle Kenny.

Rich Miller at CapitolFax:
I spent some time at my Uncle Kenny’s house in Ashkum last weekend. We went to the Iroquois County Fair, which is like taking a step back in time.
The fair hasn’t changed much at all since I was a kid. They still don’t allow alcohol on the clean grounds where kids safely run free.
I was at that fair every day back when I was growing up, often accompanied by my Uncle Kenny.
I’m the oldest of five sons, so Kenny was like my big brother growing up. It was a nostalgic weekend, and it felt like old times.
Kenny worked hard all of his life, putting in more overtime hours as a state groundskeeper during blizzards and mowing season than I could count, and he finally retired after then-Gov. George Ryan signed early retirement legislation shortly before


Uncle Kenny and selective blindness. Reform Springfield.

Fred,
Why is it that those in Springfield can see “no other way” to fix the pension issue Uncle Kenny didn’t create, yet not one person in a position to affect change talks about Illinois’ structural deficit and it’s regressive tax code that emulates only a rare handful of states that sport a flat tax? What is it? Selective blindness?
Nope. It’s easier to hurt Uncle Kenny and the hundreds of thousands like him – and tank the state’s economy in the process – than to actually fix the revenue problem inherent in Illinois structural deficit and regressive flat tax system.