Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Schools Matter: Not quite what I was trying to say: Comments about the Common Core Standards and Tests

Schools Matter: Not quite what I was trying to say: Comments about the Common Core Standards and Tests:


Not quite what I was trying to say: Comments about the Common Core Standards and Tests

Not quite what I was trying to say: Comments about the Common Core Standards and Tests
Stephen Krashen

I was quoted in an article in the NY Times about David Coleman’s appointment as head of the College Board. I had sent the reporter written statements and a few of my short articles before the interview, but like most reporters, she preferred the oral interview. Coleman is “an architect of the common core curriculum standards,” so I was asked what I thought of the standards. (I was not informed about the purpose of the article. I did not know Coleman was appointed head of the College Board until I read the article on the internet.)

Here is what appeared in the NY Times:

“There’s no reason on earth for common core standards and these tests that we’re wasting billions of dollars on,”