Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 7, 2012

Common Core Challenges our Unity - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Common Core Challenges our Unity - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Common Core Challenges our Unity

Follow me on Twitter at @AnthonyCody
In recent weeks controversy over the Common Core standards has heated up. As we get closer to the decision point at the state level across the country, it has become clearer what a massive overhaul the Common Core represents. New curriculum, new professional development and most controversial of all, new assessments, with no relief in sight from the heavy-handed accountability systems that are the legacy of NCLB,
I have been outspoken in my own views about the Common Core, since I first heard about them three years ago. I think any system that is designed to make NCLB more efficient is unlikely to do much good. More recently I have carried more detailed critiques, from Stephen Krashen and Susan OhanianJack HassardJeffery Golub,myselfAlfie Kohn and Yong Zhao. I am categorically opposed to the federal armtwisting that has led states to adopt the Common Core, and I am deeply concerned about the plans to significantly expand high stakes tests in