Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Real Reason for the Arts « Cooperative Catalyst

The Real Reason for the Arts « Cooperative Catalyst:


The Real Reason for the Arts

I watched a mediocre, meandering speech by Kurt Vonnegut. The video quality was lousy enough for him to look like he was an intellectual ninja, his mouth struggling to catch up with his voice.  And then, he said what I’ve been feeling about education.
“The computer said ‘I’m going to do all the becoming from now on.’ You become by practicing an art now matter how well or badly. And it’s not a way to make a living. And of course the art courses are being cut out of public schools because it’s not a trade. Well, it isn’t a trade. It’s a way to make your soul grow.”
I’m tired of trying to defend the arts and humanities with words like New Economy and Creative Class and innovation. I have never sketched a picture of crafted a