Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Putting faces on the pension fight. A letter to Quinn. « Fred Klonsky

Putting faces on the pension fight. A letter to Quinn. « Fred Klonsky:


Putting faces on the pension fight. A letter to Quinn.

APRIL 25, 2012
H/T: Tim Furman
Governor Pat Quinn
Office of the Governor
207 State House
Springfield, Illinois   62706
 
Dear Governor Quinn:
 
 I watched your press conference last Friday where you announced sweeping pension changes for active Illinois teachers.  These changes will hurt my family, and I object to them strenuously.  My daughter and son-in-law, Beth and Mike Butler, are active teachers here in Sandwich, and they have two children:  Brynn, who is three, and Anne, who is one.  Your proposal to change the pension formula for active teachers will cause Beth and Mike to pay more into the Teachers Retirement System and receive less in benefits.  This will not only impact their ability to earn a living but will hurt my grandchildren as well.
           
 I urge you to reconsider your proposal to change the pension system in Illinois, and I offer you a number of clear reasons why you should change your mind.
             
First, Beth, Mike, and other active Illinois teachers have faithfully contributed