Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Disciplinary Literacy with the Common Core State Standards | Connected Principals

Disciplinary Literacy with the Common Core State Standards | Connected Principals:

Disciplinary Literacy with the Common Core State Standards


Over spring break I had the opportunity to attend a one day workshop with Doug Buehl on Disciplinary Literacy with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). First of all, I must say that Mr. Buehl was an amazing presenter! I was surprised to find out that he is originally a HS Social Studies teacher (yes, you read that right) and had great, practical ways to incorporate the English Language Arts CCSS across other content area courses and make them more meaningful and engaging for students. Mr. Buehl has written several books and you can also find a variety of his articles here that provide you with strategies to implement tomorrow. Now the only thing I wish for is for him to be on twitter so I can continue learning from him each day!
I left this one day workshop with a headache…a good one, because I learned so much! I took a great deal of notes, but will now share with you what I found to be very important as I learned about the CCSS and questions I still have. They are in no order of importance.
Important ideas that I took away from this workshop:
  • The CCSS require us to teach students to read complex text independently, whereas, in the past we may have shied away from complex text due to 
'