Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Struggling within the struggle. « Fred Klonsky

Struggling within the struggle. « Fred Klonsky:

Struggling within the struggle.

I am a great admirer of the writing of Maxine Green, Professor Emerita at Teachers College, Columbia University.

So when I was sent a request to put my name on a statement that was created as part of Social Imagination Projects, a project initiated by individuals who have also been inspired by Maxine Greene, I was interested.

The statement is a critique of the today’s standards and accountability-based “education reforms” that embrace corporate ideologies and advance privatization while undermining public education.

I received a response from a grad student who was working on the project. I have no interest in embarrassing anyone, so no names. But he suggested that although he didn’t want to reiterate the distinction between academics and K-12 school teachers, he thought it would be better for me to sign a different statement along