Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

School Tech Connect: Report From The Virtual Front

School Tech Connect: Report From The Virtual Front:

Report From The Virtual Front


I had some communication with my state representative, Kelly Cassidy, about SB 512 and other pension questions."I still am firmly against the ideas put forth in the original bill," is one of the things that she said.
Of course, she left herself plenty of wiggle room with the usual language about all parties needing to come to the table. I'm going to press her next on the ideas in Glen Brown's great post--- about slowing down the ramp-up to 2045, about increasing revenues, and about the exaggeration of the problem. Very reasonable, responsible people agree on these matters--- it's just that the GOP business-climate hysteria is driving every conversation.
I'm endorsing her. She's always answered my questions, and that's hugely important to me. She'll probably vote in the end for something I completely disagree with. Her opponent, Paula Basta, has been pretty generic about education. Here she is in the Sun-Times:
On school funding, Basta says “schools in Illinois require adequate funding but they also need to