Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 2, 2012

All Things Education: Charter or Traditional: Making Kids Play Musical Schools is Wrong

All Things Education: Charter or Traditional: Making Kids Play Musical Schools is Wrong:

Charter or Traditional: Making Kids Play Musical Schools is Wrong

Here's a composite of conversations I've had with other education folks (and myself) about charter schools:

Q: Are you in favor of or against charter schools?

A: Well, I'd rather we didn't feel the need to have them in the first place. I have what I think are valid concerns about segregation, isolation, inequity, and denying appropriate and accessible education to special needs and ELL students.

Q: Okay, but they're here. Would you rather have them all closed and go back to the structure we had?

A: No, no. I acknowledge they're here to stay, for the foreseeable future at least. But if their existence is a