Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 28, 2012

January’s Best Posts | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…

January’s Best Posts | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…:

January’s Best Posts

I regularly highlight my picks for the most useful posts for each month — not including “The Best…” lists. I also use some of them in a more extensive monthly newsletter I send-out. You can see my previous Best Posts of the Month at Websites Of The Month.

These posts are different from the ones I list under the monthly “Most Popular Blog Posts.” Those are the posts the largest numbers of readers “clicked-on” to read. I have to admit, I’ve been a bit lax about writing those posts, though.

Here are some of the posts I personally think are the best, and most helpful, ones I’ve written during this past month (not in any order of preference):

Free Email Newsletter Sent-Out This Week

I sent out my free monthly email newsletter this week to about 2,000 subscribers.

If you’re interested, you can subscribe to it here.


Research Studies Of The Week

I often write about research studies from various field and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature:

Physicists Seek To Lose The Lecture As Teaching Tool is an NPR Report about the successes of a professor who has stopped lecturing and, and instead, has begun using small groups. American Radio Works has a more extensive feature on the results. I’m adding this to The Best Sites For Cooperative Learning Ideas.

Changing our Minds discusses a study and other ideas that suggest “fiction helps us understand ourselves and others.” I’m adding it to The Best Resources On “Becoming What We Read.”

Learning From Brilliant Mistakes and Finding Opportunity in Failures are both articles and videos related to Paul J.H. Schoemaker’s book, ‘Brilliant Mistakes.’ I’m adding them to The Best Posts, Articles & Videos About Learning From Mistakes & Failures.

V is for Visualization at Scott Thornbury’s blog is a discussion of research, and teacher’s experiences, of using