Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 20, 2012

hctiB G: Chocolate City | The G Bitch Spot

hctiB G: Chocolate City | The G Bitch Spot:

hctiB G: Chocolate City

originally posted Jan. 20, 2006

Part of the flak over Nagin’s chocolate city comment (he said it when he testified in front of Congress and no one seemed to notice though that time he did smile as he said it) is that no one has a sense of humor when they are looking for a fight. No one seems to know about the Funkadelic song or that other cities (DC and Detroit especially) have also been referred to as chocolate cities and there were no white riots. The only commentary I’ve seen that even slightly understands the humor and truth and joy in being a chocolate city is Sam Smith. My favorite part:

But to this white DC native, Nagin’s worst offense was to try to rip off our nickname.

Having lived much of my life in the real Chocolate City, I find myself far more bothered by people