Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Field Trip! (And I Don’t Mean Virtual) « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Field Trip! (And I Don’t Mean Virtual) « Diary of a Public School Teacher!:

Field Trip! (And I Don’t Mean Virtual)

My former principal only allowed us to take only two field trips a year. (If you’ve been teaching long enough,you know how he came to that decision. Can anyone say “state tests?”). No matter how much I begged, negotiated, or prompted, he wouldn’t give in. That really bugged me.

Anyway, my new principal doesn’t seem to have this same issue, so, we are going on a field trip on Jan. 26. This one is special, because we are going to meet our pen pals, the Wilmington University Women’s Basketball team! Go Wildcats!

One day I was reading the competition’s other district’s newsletter. I saw an article about a trip they had taken to watch the UD team, who were their pen pals, play basketball. And as one who is not shy about using others’ great ideas, I got in touch with two universities near my school and made a request for pen pals. I also got in touch with one of my teacher friends in that particular district, and she gave me the emails of the teachers who had set it up.The Wilmington University asst. coach got in touch with me, and as they say, the rest is