Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Apocalyptic teaching in 2012: skate or die « Cooperative Catalyst

Apocalyptic teaching in 2012: skate or die « Cooperative Catalyst:

Apocalyptic teaching in 2012: skate or die

[Cross-posted from Classroots.org.]

Chevro Skates graphic prototypesI believe in negotiating curriculum, instruction, and assessment with students. I believe in inquiry and erring on the side of students’ pursuits over that of the state. I believe in asking students what they want to do and asking myself how I can help them accomplish their goals. I don’t think we need – or could find – a more compelling model of teaching or assessment than that.

However, as usual, I offer this disclaimer: I don’t always teach to my ideals. Sometimes I give in to the instincts I developed as a school-successful student and teacher. I deliver content and look for short cuts that prove there’s enough “achievement” going on in my classroom to