Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Good Writers Will Be Smart Test-Takers « City School Stories

Good Writers Will Be Smart Test-Takers « City School Stories:

Good Writers Will Be Smart Test-Takers


Submitted by Timothy Boyle on October 13, 2011

It took four years, but I finally got the hang of teaching students elementary science. It took hours of professional development, meeting some great teachers, and actually teaching, to figure it out. District finances and a leadership change left me uncertain as to what I would be teaching when I came back to school in September.

When I stopped into my home school this summer, I found out I that would indeed have a new position, test-prep teacher. As such my main area of focus would be on teaching the writing skills necessary to complete the open-ended sections of the PSSA. To get my head around this change I decided to return to what had worked for me in the past. I logged on to the PD planner. I