Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 28, 2011

Digging for Consistent, Comprehensive Financial Data on New Jersey Charter Schools « School Finance 101

Digging for Consistent, Comprehensive Financial Data on New Jersey Charter Schools « School Finance 101:

Digging for Consistent, Comprehensive Financial Data on New Jersey Charter Schools

I’ve commented in the past about the difficulties of obtaining reconcilable data on finances of New Jersey Charter Schools. What do I mean by reconcilable? Well, when I’m looking at financial data on charter schools in particular, I like to be able to see some relationship between expenditure and revenue data reported on IRS 990 filings (Tax returns of the non-profit boards/foundations/agencies that operate the charters) and state government (department of ed) reported expenditures and/or any annual financial report documents that might be required by charter authorizers. This really is an authorizer/accountability issue. A financial reporting requirement issue.

When I did my study on New York City Charter schools last year I was quite pleased to find a) annual financial