Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Dialogue Heats Up over Teach For America - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

The Dialogue Heats Up over Teach For America - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

The Dialogue Heats Up over Teach For America

A few days ago I posted this: Civil Rights Groups Press for Truly Qualified Teachers. I have hit a nerve, because the piece has gotten a number of comments. Last night some sharp questions arrived from a reader named Mike Hailey. I am interested in highlighting this dialogue, so I am going to post his questions and my answers here, and invite him to respond below.

Mike Hailey writes:

I have a couple of questions: First; Is the objection that TFA and other alternatively credentialed teachers are teaching in the classroom at all or that they have been designated as "Highly Qualified" teachers? Second; Who teaches these students if you successfully bare the above from the classroom? I will hold my comments pursuant to your answers. Thank you for a very thought provoking article

Mike,
These are tough issues and I appreciate the questions. It is worth digging in to see if we can find answers that