Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

NYC Educator: From the Front Lines of the Overcrowding Problem

NYC Educator: From the Front Lines of the Overcrowding Problem:

From the Front Lines of the Overcrowding Problem

You may have caught this article from the Daily Newstaking a look at school overcrowding in this age of population explosion and budget contraction. I thought I could provide a teacher's-eye view of what overcrowding looks like in my school, while admitting that we are lucky to not be at Cardozo-like levels of overcrowding.

Overcrowding in my school means that nobody has his or her own classroom. Some teachers (me, I will admit) are fortunate enough to have classrooms to themselves for more than 50% of the day, but no one has a room that she and only she occupies 100% of the day. This, as you can imagine, makes it harder to do classroom maintenance and decoration, since you can't exactly hang posters and change bulletin boards and schlep furniture while one of