Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

More on the SGP debate: A reply « School Finance 101

More on the SGP debate: A reply « School Finance 101:

More on the SGP debate: A reply

This new post from Ed News Colorado is in response to my critique of Student Growth Percentiles here:http://schoolfinance101.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/take-your-sgp-and-vamit-damn-it/

I must say that I agree with almost everything in this response to my post, except for a few points. First, they argue:

Unfortunately Professor Baker conflates the data (i.e. the measure) with the use. A primary purpose in the development of the Colorado Growth Model (Student Growth Percentiles/SGPs) was to distinguish the measure from the use: To separate the description of student progress (the SGP) from the attribution of responsibility for that progress.

No, I do not conflate the data and measures with their proposed use. Policy makers are doing that and doing