Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

All Education Matters: Letter from a Couch-Hopping Student Loan Debtor

All Education Matters: Letter from a Couch-Hopping Student Loan Debtor

Letter from a Couch-Hopping Student Loan Debtor

As many of you know, I am living with my gracious, loving in-laws. They help us buy groceries and other items. I have realized over the last few months that the decision to return to the U.S. was a smart move, but it has taken me several months, and a lot of anguish, to get to this point. As for Korea, it became too difficult to juggle two careers and try to straddle two time zones. One thing is certain, if I didn't have a loving husband and such wonderful in-laws, I would be out on the streets in the good ole U. S. of A. Of course, I am mobile and have lived abroad, so it would be more likely that I would be teaching in the Middle East or in S. Korea again. But that would mean abandoning my political activism, something I've been dedicated to for nearly 3 years now.

I thought that when I told my readers that I lived with my in-laws and could not even pay for groceries I would feel ashamed about it. The subject of shame has come up a lot with all the student loan debtors I know, and I have