Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 29, 2011

#SOSMARCH What Side Am I On? « Outside the Cave

What Side Am I On? « Outside the Cave

What Side Am I On?

With a summer off for the first time in my career, and a transition to a new school on the horizon, I’ve been thinking a lot recently about what I want my teaching career to look like. I have always seen myself as a teacher first, but over the past years, I have had increasing opportunities to do more beyond the classroom. As I get the opportunity for a fresh start as a teacher at a new school teaching a new class, I’m attempting to envision how I want to act as a teacher within my school, and also as a professional within the larger realm of education.

I wrote the following in an email to one of our most talented graduating seniors recently. We had a strong relationship when she was in tenth grade, and she had been very disappointed to not end up in one of my eleventh grade US History sections the following year (she ended up with another great teacher, but who would