Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tony Danza,Teacher! Puh-leeze! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Tony Danza,Teacher! Puh-leeze! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Tony Danza,Teacher! Puh-leeze!

Tony Danza Has a New Teaching Job, Cries 'a Lot' in Front of His StudentsIt’s a holiday weekend, and I have a little more time on my hands than usual. I wanted to get away, but that didn’t quite work out. So, I decided to spend a little more time on the computer than I normally do, and I came across this article about Tony Danza, teacher. Now I use the word “teacher” lightly, very, very, lightly. This article was posted in September 2010, but I think it’s relevant to what people think of teachers.

The network decided to do a reality series called, “Teach”. They think and they think, and someone says, “I know who we could get!?” “Tony Danza!” Seriously? Not one of the Teacher of the Year candidates? They didn’t think of me? Or any of the millions of hard-working, talented, teachers that work diligently every day of their lives?

”Even though Tony describes teaching as his “dream job,” he only did it for the year that he was paid to be on A&E — which … well, you can draw your own conclusions here.” Hmmm… What conclusion can we draw? What a farce! He “taught” so that he could get paid to be on television. Is this a person you would want teaching your kids for a year? What a waste of a school year! I would love to know how he was held