Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Spirit of America: a Short Story About Standardized Testing (and Other Sins)

The Spirit of America: a Short Story About Standardized Testing (and Other Sins)

The Spirit of America: a Short Story About Standardized Testing (and Other Sins)

Giving this crazy effed up CST test to my courageous students has put me in mind of this short story by one of my favorite authors. Enjoy:

The Spirit of America

By Vincent Precht

Boys and girls, please be seated and let me have your attention. It is Thursday, April 6, 2011.

First I have a few announcements.

Number one. We have a new student. Hervé. Hervé’s father is from Martinique. Where is that, class? It’s here, on this dusty globe. As he cannot speak English, we must all learn French.

Number two. As I have told you before, my mother is very ill. I may have to leave you to be with