Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mainstream Media's Inability To Tell The Truth About LAUSD (Incapacidad principales medios de comunicación a decir la verdad sobre el LAUSD) - Perdaily.com

Mainstream Media's Inability To Tell The Truth About LAUSD (Incapacidad principales medios de comunicación a decir la verdad sobre el LAUSD) - Perdaily.com

Mainstream Media's Inability To Tell The Truth About LAUSD (Incapacidad principales medios de comunicación a decir la verdad sobre el LAUSD)

Liar.jpg
(Mensaje se repite en Español)

(For a national view of public education reform see the end of this blog post)

I talked with Connie Llanos today of the Daily News. She is an excellent reporter and could be much better, if she was allowed to do any story she has knowledge of. Given the time, research, and access she has already achieved covering the topic of public education, it is clear to me that she knows a hell of allot more than she is actually allowed to report.

Reporter Llanos tried to justify what appears to me to be the clear limits as to what she is allowed to report by saying, "I have to pitch stories to her editor" and "I don't have 6 months to research a story." Given the blatant and overt corruption of LAUSD and UTLA and the entree she and other reporters have, I doubt that a reporter as good as she would need 6 months to catch LAUSD and UTLA colluding to the detriment of their students and parents, teachers, and other employees.

As the conversation continued and I gave Ms. Llanos specific stories that we have covered here at perdaily and voice my frustration about the blackout of these stories by her and the other mainstream media. All Ms. Llanos could do was chastise me by saying, "This is not the way to get me to do a story." If having the documentation that she and her colleagues