Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 23, 2011

Daily Kos: 65

Daily Kos: 65

65

It is now May 23, 2011. 65 years ago I was born, in New York City. My mother was Sylvia Livingston Bernstein. She graduated from Hunter College High School at 14, Cornell at 18, Columbia Law at 21. Because of her experiences she kept saying no when our school system wanted to accelerate me, but finally left the choice to me and after 4 weeks in 6th grade I moved to 7th.

My father was Louis Morton Bernstein. His father was an immigrant tailor, but he (and four of his five siblings) graduated from Cornell, in his case Phi Beta Kappa in Economics. He reached ABD in economics, served as the chief statistician for the RNC in 1936, and was a successful business executive and later a consultant, as well as adjunct at Columbia Business School.

I was the 2nd child. My older sister Judy was born in October of 1943, while my parents had reconnected in DC