Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Detroit ctd. - E.D. Kain - American Times - Forbes

Detroit ctd. - E.D. Kain - American Times - Forbes

Detroit ctd.

A reader writes:

I did not know of the connection of Bobb with the two foundations. That could be a conflict of interest, but I have only heard of praise associated with the Kellogg Foundation so I am not sure there really is this “evil intent” as you portray. What is/was obvious was that the prior school board was not only inept but also a bunch of thieves. It was the prior school administration that took the Detroit public school system to where it is today. So I have no confidence in restoring their power. Your article also did not inform the readers of the current budget condition of the Detroit Public Schools (even before the 2012 cuts that are coming down from Lansing). I do not know the current budget situation (so it is not a loaded question), but I think you need to frame what is driving Bobb to take such action (which I think he is trying to figure out how to get the budget back in line). I think sending layoffs to everyone is/was over dramatic. I do think that layoff decisions should be based on performance with tenure being the next category (instead of the reverse we have today). Why would we layoff a young gifted teacher and retain a more senior mediocre teacher – I wouldn’t do that in the private sector.

I certainly don’t mean to imply ‘evil intent’. I do think there are conflicts of interest based on opposing ideologies at play. Even if I agreed with the school reforms of the Broad or Kellogg Foundations, I would still question the