Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

School Closings: Third Time’s a Charm? « EdVox

School Closings: Third Time’s a Charm? « EdVox

School Closings: Third Time’s a Charm?

By Sandra Thomas, grandparent of two children at MS 391

MS 391 in the Bronx is on New York State’s list of Persistently Lowest-Achieving schools, and is at risk of being closed next year. But the school has already been closed and restarted twice, and parents wonder what will make this time any different Click here to read today’s Daily News story about the school’s struggles.

My name is Sandra Thomas and I have lived in Community School District 10 in the Bronx for just about all my life. My son graduated from MS 391 and my granddaughter now attends the school. I remember when MS 391 was first built. And I can remember watching the school’s decline as it became more and more infested with drugs and gang activity. The whole community knew it as a danger zone. In the 1990s it was phased out twice. But both times—closures did nothing but add to its degradation. It was not until about five years ago when Principal Santana and his administration came that our school began to turn around. They gave the school