Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#EDUSolidarity – Why I’m Standing Up « Outside the Cave #p2 #wiunion

#EDUSolidarity – Why I’m Standing Up « Outside the Cave

#EDUSolidarity – Why I’m Standing Up

Saturday, I found myself explaining for the umpteenth time why I, as a good teacher, would support teachers’ unions, let alone be a chapter leader. I was jotting down some notes for a blog entry, but then thought this might be worth getting bigger.

I got in touch with Ken Bernstein and Jose Vilson, both of whom I met at the recent EWA Seminar I attended, and Jonathan Halabi, who I know through my local UFT, to discuss the idea, and we decided to move forward with it. We reached out to educators we knew and respected as excellent teachers, and the idea of #EDUSolidarity was born. Our formal letter of invitation follows.

I hope you’ll join us in writing on March 22. If you don’t have a blog of your own, I am happy to publish guest posts on mine.

edusolidarityIMAGE

Fellow Educators,

As we all know, teachers and our unions, along with those of other public sector employees, face unprecedented attacks in the national media and from local and state governments. It is easy for politicians and the media to