Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Daily Kos: Here's an opportunity for input to my classroom

Daily Kos: Here's an opportunity for input to my classroom

Here's an opportunity for input to my classroom

I have been given an opportunity by my principal to explore the use of personal electronic technology and social media in an instructional context in my classroom. Currently students are not allowed to have their personal electronics - phones and mp3 players - on during the school day. Of course that is unrealistic on several levels.

First, we are trying to instruct students while attempting to disconnect them from how they interact with the world.

Second, it doesn't work. On Friday, in my three AP classes and my one American Scholars class, I asked students to be honest - no punishment would be applied - and tell me how many had their phones or mp3