Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 10, 2011

TLN Teacher Voices: Here's Why Teachers Quit

TLN Teacher Voices: Here's Why Teachers Quit

Here's Why Teachers Quit

Back in 2007, we titled a post at our companion blog Teacher Leadership Today this way: "Why Do Teachers Quit?" Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that over the intervening 3 1/2 years, a number of teachers have found their way to that post and added a comment. The most recent appeared just this week. It comes from a young teacher in Louisiana and is worth highlighting, because it may offer an answer. It certainly expresses the frustration many feel.

I am a young, motivated third-year third grade teacher. I have moved schools, moved grade levels, and had my first child in the last three years. I have also survived a district-wide reduction in force. My mother is a former classroom teacher and currect administrator, so I knew what I was getting into. However, I am starting to realize that eventually we get burned out.

In my opinion, it isn't the teaching part that is exhausting. Teaching is the most enjoyable part of my day. Surprisingly, I also enjoy analyzing data and using it to create effective lesson plans. I think it is exciting and