Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 10, 2011

McCarthyism redux. « Fred Klonsky's blog

McCarthyism redux. « Fred Klonsky's blog

McCarthyism redux.

A visit from my superintendent this morning brought the news that some punks from an anti-union outfit called the Education Action Group had filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request on all my district emails.

Why?

They’re fishing for evidence that I’m a pro-union, politically active, progressive teacher.

Hey. They could have just asked my colleagues. It’s not a secret. That’s why they elected me president of their union local for ten years.

I write openly about my views on my blog.

And I don’t use work email to do it.

Of course that’s only part of their intent. They also want to intimidate others.

This is an old story. They tried it back in the 1950s when they followed the lead of