Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Make sure lawmakers hear our concerns. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Make sure lawmakers hear our concerns. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Make sure lawmakers hear our concerns.

Today I am posting an op-ed piece written by my colleague and Park Ridge Education Association member, Jerry Mulvihill.

As a parent, teacher, local school board member and school advocate, I have called and visited my local legislators urging numerous school reforms, to no avail, for the past 18 years. Among the reforms I have spoken with lawmakers about include school class size, technology & curricular improvements, training and supports for teachers, opposition to the glut of standardized testing that now overwhelms our children and schools throughout Southland and, of course, the need for school funding reform.

I have not been alone in my efforts. Year after year, parents throughout Southland continue the struggle of finding solutions to the challenges that plague their kids’ schools. Due to the manner in which Illinois funds its public schools, parents know that their kids’ schools are often inferior to schools that rest in some of the most affluent