Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Daily Kos: Another Saturday morning reflection - on public employment and employees

Daily Kos: Another Saturday morning reflection - on public employment and employees

Another Saturday morning reflection - on public employment and employees

but one that is somewhat unusual for me. I have no papers or tests to correct, my plans for the next two weeks are done - 9 days with the holiday, and then the first Semester is completed. This morning I will head to one of our high schools to help with those working on becoming National Board Certified - the woman who runs the program for our system was kind enough to find some extra work for me, knowing about the difficult financial straits in which I find myself, about which I wrote yesterday.

I have not been the only one writing about teachers and other public employees. We have had front pages stories about how public employees are paid less than the private sector, diaries about how public employees are under attack.

I have worked in the private sector, consulted to both government and the private sector, been an employee of a professional services firm who was assigned to work full-time in a federal agency, and been a local government employee in data processing as well as a school teacher. This morning I want to use my experience to offer a reflection on employment and employees in the public sector. I invite you to keep reading.