Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Still More Questions About Why Wikileaks Hasn’t Trended On Twitter « Student Activism

Still More Questions About Why Wikileaks Hasn’t Trended On Twitter « Student Activism

Still More Questions About Why Wikileaks Hasn’t Trended On Twitter

Okay, this is a little ridiculous.

A week ago, I wrote a piece dismissing the idea that Twitter was actively working to keep Wikileaks out of its trending topics lists. This morning, I wrote a followup in which I continued to express skepticism that any monkey business was going on, but acknowledged that the data were really kind of weird.

Now I’ve gone back and compared long-term traffic patterns for “Sundays,” one of today’s big global trending topics, with those of Wikileaks, and I have to say I’m kind of flabbergasted. If the data I have are accurate, something very very strange is going on with Twitter’s handling of Wikileaks.

Here. Let me show you.